Sunday, September 4, 2011

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...

So we ventured in to new territory...I am sewing a lot of new things... and enjoying every minute of it. But I've never done a quilt. Nope not ever. That has always been my big Sis' territory. She makes BEAUTIFUL quilts. My favorites... the one she made me for high school graduation and our wedding present quilt.

This summer the girls and I have frequented a few fabric stores.  And we have had so much fun making plans and doing lots of craft projects together! And then we walked in to a new shop we hadn't been to (which has now become our favorite shop) and well we fell in love with some Dr Seuss fabric...Sweetpea dreamed up doing a quilt and well it looked easy enough. At first I relented in buying the fabric thinking "sure... we'll do that someday... well someday came... and there was no getting out of it.

Sweetpea picked out ALL her fabric, she sewed much of the blocks together, the rows of blocks together, and finally I did the quilting and binding. It was such a neat project for us both to work on together. I did A LOT (I mean A LOT) of research on quilting, tying, and the biggest part - the actual QUILTING. And what did I go for? Normal just stitch-in-the-ditch quilting... o no... I had to start with free motion quilting and... the result?  I LOVED IT!!!!

Well you tell me? How'd it turn out?
We sewed it together
Sweetpea organized the blocks
Here's her layout


All our blocks are sewn together

Sweetpea picked borders

Small border matches kite string of Thing 1 & 2

Pleased kiddo with it sewn together!

Almost done and LOVING how it turned out so far...
Teeheehee

She REALLY loves how it is looking (can ya tell?)

Really... trying... to Free motion Quilt... (forced smile)

True feelings...trying to quilt 3 layers...

LOVE the fun Free-motion quilting
Almost there!!



Last step - adding the binding on the quilt!!

So close (and had to finish before our vacation to SC)

My trusty helper asleep on the job...

DONE!

This pattern was one of my favorites!
Loved this one too... Cyndi Lou-Who reminds me of my sister!
Fun colors worked well with King Tut's rainbow thread!
What an extremely fun project to work on with Sweetpea, new material, new thread (King Tut - rainbow variegated thread - gorgeous), and just a crazy fun pattern... Not bad for our first quilt EVER!!
Now it's time to get moving on BooBoo's quilt - (what I do for one... I OF COURSE have to do for the other...). Only this time it's harder... PINWHEEL'S!! YIKES! Another learning curve!

Bunnies and Pinwheels YAY!

1 comment:

  1. It was really fun to be there during much of the process - including the last minute stretch to be able to bring it to the beach. And even more last minute creation of a matching pillowcase by Kyra for the trip!!!
    Great job by both artists.

    ReplyDelete