Thursday, August 6, 2009

Smells...

Ahhh smells! It's funny I am thinking about this (at 1:26am) but smells really play a huge part in life...

Smells can totally make or break a day or a moment. When you smell something good - it can remind you of something in the past...or bring you to a particular moment or place in time. They can help enhance taste (or even ruin taste). Smells can be positive or negative... but really I would be so lost without my sense of smell. And I know personally a few people who really don't have "smelling" rights... yep doesn't work... WOW - I would be so lost.

I got thinking about my Nain's (maternal g-ma's) house (which was one of my MOST, special places on Earth to be) and that certain smell she had in her house. Aaaaaaaaaaa... it was intoxicating to my senses. To me... it always smelled like home, a refuge. It was ALWAYS the same. I remember being so stressed out and just sitting there breathing in and out through my nose at her house and it just calmed me. Sometimes I get a mild drift of that smell (even though I haven't been there since we had to clean it out and sell it) and I know she is with me... watching over me... guiding and helping me. Call me crazy my friends... call me crazy but it is true. Her house had that je ne sais quoi... but it's a special smell. And there are times where I go to her closed bookshelf I have the honour of having and open the door and just BREATHE DEEEEeeep... it's about as close to her as I can get and the unique aroma just emerges from it. Yes... I inhale the old books, the shelves themselves... and yes my friends, I stand there taking that nostalgic essence in...Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I started thinking of smells tonight... as I sat here by my new 'Scentsy'. It is this wonderful little pièce d'art that uses a light bulb (no flames people... chilluns in the house) and some soft, totally AWESOME, smelly (in a good way) wax!! Right now - I have I think Home Sweet Home going (been going on one block for DAYS now)... it reminds me of apples and spices... YUM!! I think I will try the Clean Breeze next... there is nothing better than the smell of LAUNDRY... clean laundry or maybe I should say detergent that is! It just eases the nerves and when I walk in to my house I look fwd to the wonderful aroma that awaits my tender nostrils...that tease and relax my olfactory system... heck my whole body! There is definitely something to be said for aroma therapy! And it really dawned on me today - I am super sensitive to all kinds of scents. And I am super glad - because they never let me down... either they warn me or they help me explore and enjoy so many wonderful things that God puts in my path of life!

Musings on essence...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa sniff...sniff

No comments:

Post a Comment