Friday, April 23, 2010

Reflections...Part 1

So I thought I would talk about different "happenings" or events that took place on our 12-day trip to Blue Hill, ME.

I remember actually feeling a sense of excitement upon our departure to Maine. I always get excited when I know I am going to Maine or Utah. This is where our roots are... where we (Safety-Man & I) grew up (well New England). I almost felt guilty for being excited to get there - but then again I wanted to go... TO BE THERE, to HELP in any way I could. I wanted to be able to DO something to help my family. To ease this shock and pain we feel.

I forgot how much I love New England (or Utah - same climate) Spring. I truly miss the changes of seasons - but mostly Fall and Spring. Spring is such a time of renewal and here - a time we need renewal. I just love watching the earth come alive - and northern spring flowers are my absolute f a v o r i t e!!!

Upon arriving in Maine we went to Freeport where Mr Safety-Man grew up. I knew it was going to be cold... but upon first arrival it wasn't so bad!! (Yes I saying this...I, the one, whom is always cold!) But later that night... WHooweee it was FREEZIN'!
Being in Freeport was a nice ease in to an emotional week. We toured around - of course heading to LL Bean was our highlight! Wow has that place changed! AMAZING. We headed to the Bean outlet as well - found a quilt we fell in love with (we've been wanting a Mariner's Compass quilt since) - but left it there. Sigh. We also noticed a "Lids" store (baseball caps) - not open and we really wanted some Red Sox baseball hats. We ate at one of the best pubs I've ever eaten at. I love GOOD, pub food - it was really hardy and SOooooooo yummmy. A nice beginning. I knew the next days would be difficult but it was good to start this way. The next morning we headed to Augusta for Uncle Bill's interment ceremony at the Veterans Memorial cemetary.

That night before heading out, when all were alseep in our New England Inn room... I thought about Maine, I thought about what I liked and loved about being there & of course what I didn't love. I reflected upon the past few weeks and the whirlwind of emotions, discussions, phone calls and planning. And I just had to write something down (remember now it was late and i was tired...but I copied it down as i wrote it)...


Things I love about Maine
1. Spring flowers
2. Pine- Spruce smell
3. LL Bean
4. Ancient-ness 1700's + History
5. Turning on the cold water side of the tap and when u drink it your teeth almost freeze off - aaaah refreshing
6. The rock Mts (and rock cliffs lining the roads)
7. The woods
8. The Sea + Bay
9. Freeport/Yarmouth - birthplace of Mr Safety-Man
10. LL Bean (again... see I was TIRED) so will add another...
10. Walking in the woods inspecting fairy houses with my girls, moss, lichen
11. Moose (to which Kyky added the next AM X wrong! MEESE!
12. Camden - where we got engaged
13. Rockland - where ^I was introduced^ to Schooners + Bar Harbor where Jer wrked
14. The Heritage - my first time on a Schooner
15. Boat smell on my Safety-Man (one of the reasons I fell in love with him)
16. Blueberry fields
17. Rocky Beaches - collecting rocks (a favorite pastime of mine and my girls)
18. Lighthouses
19. Blue Hill - Salt Pond, Arcady DownEast (now called BarnCastle)
20. Our family (most of all)

Things I hate about Maine (oops it WAS late - we don't use this word hate...)
1. Verona Narrows Bridge - my nemesis (shivers even typing this)
2. The Cold
3. Being so far from family
4. No good warm H2O beaches
5. Did I mention the COLD?
(so apparently I was pretty cold that night...) AND I am ok with COLD but only if the soft fluffy stuff's coming with it... and not the aftermath of shoveling that stuff! Maybe that should be added to the dislike list?

The next morning we got to go to "Lids" and get our Red Sox baseball caps - it was neat seeing our different personalities through what we chose!

And then off to Augusta.

1 comment: