Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Sign... A symbol... A precious cardinal

While we were at camp the second day. The girls and I were playing a fun game of Clue! One of my one and only favorite board games... (there was even a Mickey Mouse Tower of Terror Clue game at Fort Wilderness I wanted SOooo badly!!! I would love that one!). I digress... as usual - sorry!

As we were playing our game. I couldn't believe what fluttered in to view. A cardinal. A plump, red cardinal. This might not be that significant to anyone but me and my Dear Mr Safety-Man... but it truly IS incredible.

Cardinals have always been a special bird, a favorite of mine and also of my Nain's. I used to sit in my grandmother's (Nain) dining room, at her GIANT bay window and watch the birds at her big birdfeeder. It was always a thrill to see the cardinal. So unique. So vibrant. Just like I always thought of my Nain. The most amazing woman in the world.

She unfortunately passed away of a brain tumor. And it has seemed that through many trials and tribulations - I have seen glimpses of cardinals in the oddest places and times. It makes me feel like she is still with me... helping me through... well life.

So right now - we face losing Chris' mom to a darn brain tumor. I watched my Nain die - someone I treasure more than I could possibly explain - from the same. Now we deal with it again... And as we are trying to heal from the stress on our mini - vacation, at Fort Wilderness, I see a cardinal. Mr. Safety-Man and I exchange a non-verbal, all knowing look. Sighhhhhh and tears.

As my family and I watch the cardinal I was trying to take a photo of him... I cannot find him. I zoom out... zoom in... can't get the photo... The cardinal is going to go away... and then!
BOOM!
It flies right in to my zoomed view... like someone picked it up and kind of plopped it there. I wanted one more shot... again lost it. and...
BOOM!
Again it was "placed" in the shot.

My symbol. My faith. My sign... from our Heavenly Father and my Nain...
We will get through this.


1 comment:

  1. I always think of Grandma Chase when I see a cardinal. For some reason, I never realized the significance it held for your Nain. In any case, I know the importance and am glad your 'olive branch' was sent. God will never leave you, or forsake you...and when you see one set of footprints....

    ReplyDelete