Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bonjour!!! Réveillez-vous!!!

As I was procrastinating cleaning/thinking some more... I checked out one of the blogs I love to read... CHEEKY KITCHEN and found the most scum-diddly-umptious breakfast recipe... like ever! It had two of my favorite things in one bang-up breakfast recipe....Crème brûlée and French toast... Oooooooo la laaaaaaaaa how can you go wrong? N'est pas?

I got to thinking about how I wanted to truly be a better momma by helping my girls to eat better, to eat more of the wonderful HOME-COOKED meals. To truly "be" there for them... by helping our family eat better. One of my best memories of growing up - is my mom always cooking a hot breakfast to start my day during the school year. Why haven't I kept this tradition going? (Well part of it is from picky-eating lil' sweet angels...) But I truly want to get back to cooking/baking/making wonderful HOME-COOKED meals for my family.

Now this recipe is not what I would call "good for you" - but as a special treat breakfast... OUI c'est manifique! It's important for me... to start this process to heal, for my girls, for Mr Safety Man, for us all. Through eating better and more wholesome... I think we start to put our tragedy filled-lives back together again.

Without nary another second to spare... here's the FANTASTIC recipe: (only 1 teensy problem... I never have french baguettes 'staling' around this house... Guess I will just have to buy a fresh one! Tante pis!)

Et Voila:


Cheeky Kitchen's Crème Brûlée
French Toast
(and her write up of how she got the recipe...)
Last month, while spending a couple of days with the Thermador company in Arizona, I ate creme brulee for dessert two days in a row. Have you ever heard anything so ridiculously amazing? Two days of creme brulee. The first time was at a fancy restaurant. The second after an incredible lunch prepared by the Thermador Test Kitchen's Chef Kyle, who willingly shared the recipe for his sweet, simple, lick-the-spoon-worthy creme brulee. Three days later I was back in my own kitchen, facing a barren pantry. There wasn't much in there, but we did have several thick slices of stale french bread. I wondered what would happen if I adapted Chef Kyle's creme brulee batter, making it part of a baked french toast dish for breakfast. The results were pure perfection (in a taste sense, not a diet-conscious one). The creme brulee batter, with it's thick egg yolks, soft brown sugar, and pure white whipping cream baked into a sweet caramel-flavored custard around the bread. We served it with fresh berries, but a warmed puree of frozen raspberries will work just as nicely.


2/3 c. light brown sugar
2/3 c. heavy whipping cream
6 fat slices of day-old french bread
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the egg yolks, sugar, and cream into a blender. Blend until well mixed. Prepare a deep baking dish with a thin layer of non-stick cooking spray. Place french toast pieces into the bottom of the baking dish. Pour egg mixture over the top of each slice of toast, making sure to cover them all very well with the the egg mixture. Place baking dish in oven, and bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes, or until the caramel is bubbling and the edges of the bread are slightly browned. Remove from oven and spoon hot french toast onto plates. Serve with fresh raspberries, or heat and puree 1 cup of frozen raspberries for a fresh-tasting syrup that compliments the caramel flavor beautifully.




Wishing You a Delicious Morning.
Bon Appetit!!
Et BONNE Journée!!!

1 comment: