Monday, September 13, 2010

Funky, Fun Aprons oh my!

I had a lot of fun with these two projects! I know many people thought my fabric choices were kind of crazy (but I am! so there!) - but I had a FANTABULOUS time picking out fabric with my eldest Sweetpea. We mix & matched like two goofy girls! I could have spent probably another 2 hours PLUS in the fabric store (however limited it is here in Western FL...GAWRSH I miss Logan's fabric stores!!!) but Sweetpea reeeeeally (said with a bit of a whine) wanted to go and get her craft to do while I was sewing - from Michael's... so off we went.

It really was a lot of fun to ooooo & ahhhhhhh over different textile wonders. I loved all the different prints. I did write earlier how obsessed I am of fabric now right?! If I didn't have at least SEVEN totes filled with fabrics from Gramma San...

Sooo we start with my oldest's apron... She surprised me with picking a French-ish theme for her main fabric! But she added her usual pizazz with a funky, retro-striped, swirl for the ruffle, waisteband and pockets and a flashy purple, multi-colored polkadot for the straps!




main fabric, waistband, & ties



the dreaded placement of the pocket
(ratsin, fratsin thing took me 45 min to place... darn perfectionism - at least that's what i am calling it)


The colors complimented each other really nicely - I was initially concerned about the 'busy-ness' of it. We also used the same fabric for the front panel and the back panel - so she could wear it with or without pockets - depending on how she wears it.










final product - complete with 2 pockets!

My youngest, Boo Boo Bear, loves yellow. EVERYTHING has to be yellow. It is her all time FAVORITE! But I didn't want to do every single fabric choice for her apron in yellow. I wanted to incorporate some whimsical design in to her apron. With help from my eldest Sweetpea... we came up with these four designs:They were funky and fun, still adding the element of yellow, and birdies were a major theme this summer for us - so it added a neat character into the mix. The striped fabric became the ruffle (it's colors going so well with both the main fabrics). The yellow on yellow, tiny daisies - became the apron ties and the two birdie fabrics became the front and back panels (yes folks... a REVERSIBLE apron). Also the carrot/bird fabric was the waistband!










I even learned how to do some new stitching on the pockets! Mr Safety-Man said that they even looked like little birdie steps! Aaaaaaaa they do!!!! I was pretty proud and it gave the pocket a little element of SNAAZZZZY-ness!





Finished product...
This one has one big pocket - off-center on left side of photo (she's right-handed so would work better for her).






BOTH girls were overjoyed with them and truly were excited (which made my day!). BooBooBear kept asking me when hers was going to be finished (which was after she went to bed last night). So I put it on her chair for breakfast and she was so excited she brought it to school to show her teachers! AAaaaaaa! I didn't get a photo of the little one in her apron - but will today.
Here's a shot of Sweetpea in her apron...


















1 comment:

  1. I want K to pick out my fabric when you make mine! (hint hint) :) I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE them. Did I mention that I LOVE them?! SO CUTE! And I like the 'birdie stitch'!

    ReplyDelete