Monday, September 20, 2010

Projects, projects everywhere...

It seems that I just cannot focus and get one thing accomplished. I work on my house and sorting Grammie San's things falter, as do the many projects I want to finish to start building up some "inventory". Conversely if I work on the house I don't get things unpacked, the house/garage is still a wreck and I am no closer to setting up a studio to get projects done.

I was explaining this to two of my friends... the best I could describe it as was "the domino effect". In this house - I need to find that one domino that will start all the others to topple over. If I could just get the one task complete that would start the flow for everything else... I could get things ACCOMPLISHED in this house. Does that even make sense?

This weekend Mr Safety-Man was gone alllll weekend long. The week I had had before with behavior of my babes made me cringe at the thought of dealing with them alone this weekend... HOWEVER what a shock I received!!

We had the BEST weekend all together. And we did some fun, crafty projects together - which meant a lot to me!! We watched a movie at the theater - GIRL's NIGHT OUT, we had a double feature actually. Sweetpea got to have some quality momma/biggest girl time and we went anywhere she wanted to go! 1. Books-a-million (twist my arm... NOT!), 2. Walk around Toys 'r Us (just to look at things "to see what the little ones think is cool" she says! HA!), 3. Hancock Fabric (for material to finish making her cousins their Christmas gifts from her to them)!! She is bound and determined to make her cousins' Christmas special - even with losing their dear, sweet brother. I am SO, SO, SOoooooooooo proud of her. And today both girls worked on sewing projects!! We had dueling sewing machines going!!!

The projects that are a result are: Sweetpea - a cool stuffed animal lizard with crazy button eyes (her OWN design and pattern, sewing etc...), a polar fleeced with puppy dogs on it - guitar shaped pillow (complete with pocket and strap to hold on your back (all her own design/pattern), and soon to make a square pillow with giraffe print. BooBooBear - a pink fabric with kitties on it - made in to a cat's face for a pillow. Such wonderful imaginations! I am so pleased with how everything turned out. I loved doing the teaching and helping on the projects, I loved spending time with both my girls, I loved how they were thirsty with knowledge on how to sew
(machine and hand), how to pick out fabric and for what (loved watching BBB rubbing fabric over her face to ensure it was comfey to lie upon), loved seeing their creative juices just boil over with what they wanted to do for each part.

So all the mundane, boring projects didn't get touched (well except MOUNDS of laundry) nor did my fun projects that I wanted to work on. But spending fun time, quality time, IMPORTANT time doing my girls' projects with them... now that was where I needed to be. It was necessary. It was gratifying and it filled me up.

Proud Momma project photos to follow soon!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kymmie,
    Sorry It has taken me so long to get back to you. You had asked what kind of paint I use. I have been using Lowes brand Valspar. The color I use is Honeymilk 7003-4. I use a satin finish. I've been really pleased with this paint so far and haven't even have to use primer. Good luck on future projects :)
    Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete